Your hair may look wonderful now, but you may be harming your hair. There are some styling techniques that can damage hair, making it dry, dull, and prone to breakage, hence slowing down hair growth. In some cases, could even cause hair loss. Below are some common hair styling techniques that could damage hair:
- Hair dyes – changing hair colour from time to time is safe, but if you change hair colours every week, then that’s a different story. Hair dyes are harsh chemicals that sip out your hairs natural colour, with constant use, this can make hair very dry and brittle.
- Heat based hair styling products like: hair curlers, blow driers and hair straighteners can also damage hair when used constantly. These products can reach temperatures so high, they can vaporize the little moisture the hair holds, making it dull, dry and brittle. It is advisable to use these products on special occasions.
- Narrow tooth combs cause linear scratches to hair making it weak and prone to breakage. It is advisable to use wide toothed combs, or better yet use combs or brushes that are specially made for detangling hair.
- Don’t comb or brush your hair while it’s wet. Hair really binds together when it’s wet and this is not the best time to groom your hair. When you do so, your hair will experience a tug of war between your comb and hair, either hair breaks or pulled off from the roots. It is best to towel dry, then air dry your hair before combing or brushing.
- There are a lot of styling products available, but these too can damage hair because of the chemicals they contain. The chemicals on these products maybe safe, but over the years of use these chemicals can accumulate and can cause scalp and hair problems.